2010年7月18日星期日

Bad experiences with off-brand batteries

I brought a "new" replacement battery for my HP laptop and I was buying a one year warranty. I put the battery in my laptop and in about seven months of use. I emailed the company and was told that the battery only had a 90 day warranty on it and not one year as the announcement stated.
I went back and forth with them and I have no place. I put a number on their website discontent and the company responded to the change of company name.
I went to the second site and putting a number of malcontents and my post was deleted by the webmaster, and disappeared after a week.
I took apart the battery and contact the battery manufacturer in China and was told that these cells were more than three years since the serial numbers he gave me. So much for a new battery I guess
My old battery on the laptop and still holds a charge even though it has more than 5 years of age.
Be careful when buying batteries, as there are scam merchants everywhere.
One thing to watch is the age of a battery. A battery may be new, never used, but if stored improperly or some more than a month old, could be bad. There is a good website called University of the battery that describes how the different ages of the battery and chemistrys and how each should be stored (for example, lithium-ion batteries should be stored fully charged, but Ni-MH should be stored in a 40% load).
I wonder if the date described in this review was the date of factory.

When the Dell brand battery is not on my cheap laptop that I bought through a seller on Ebay. It lasted three months, then would not work. I wrote the company and replaced it free, which requires sending back the battery failed. The new failed in three months. I bought one to two times the price of Dell and remains perfectly do a year later.